We are living in uncertain times where extreme danger and violent mad men are lurking from all corners. This is not a scare tactic but a rather a harsh truth and as such taking the steps to protect yourself should be a high priority.
This is especially true for individuals who are constantly exposed to dangerous situations. At Defense Products we understand this need and therefore strive to provide you with the best in body armor.
5 Things You Need to Know About Armor:
What Is A Bullet Proof Armor?
Bullet proof armor is a term used to describe personal items worn either on the torso, shoulders, sides or head or a combination of some or all areas. It protects you by absorbing the energy generated from impacts by bullets, stabs and slash attacks, as well as shrapnel from explosions.
Bulletproof plates are made from high tensile fiber which has been woven tightly to produce high quality armor. These armor can be further be reinforced with metal or ceramic plates to provide additional resistance and protection from knives and weapons.
What Is Bullet Proof Armor Made Of?
To be able to function properly and optimally bulletproof armor has to be made using strong and durable fibers. There are 4 types of fibers which can be used to strengthen bullet proof plates, they include:
- Dyneema – Dyneema is a lightweight fiber that is extremely durable and highly resistant to chemicals, UV and water. The fiber is designed to protect against heavier and highly penetrative rifles. Plates from this fiber are inserted on the sides, front and back of bulletproof vests.
- Spectra- It is a bright white polyethylene fiber that is stronger than steel, more durable than polyester and is stronger than Aramid fiber by at least 40%. It is one of the lightest and strongest fibers.
- Ceramics- These plates are coated with ceramic and are strong enough to protect you from high velocity rifles and submachine guns.
- Aramid- Is a term used to refer to Aromatic Polyamide, which is a strong, lightweight and fire resistant fiber and is a substitute for asbestos
Defense Products offers only the best products since our Level III and IV bulletproof plates are made from polyethylene and Ceramic. These are extremely high quality fibers that are light, durable and designed to withstand huge amounts of force and impacts.
How Do Bullet Proof Plates Work?
Bullet proof plates are body armor designed to protect you from bullets, stabbings, knife slashes and shrapnel. The bulletproof plates work by restricting and reducing damage to your body by absorbing the energy from impacts and dispersing it to the other layers thus stopping the bullets, shrapnel and stabbings.
For instance, when a bullet strikes the body armor it is caught and trapped by a mesh of strong tightly woven fibers. The bulletproof late is made of several layers and each successive layer absorbs and disperses the energy produced from the impact until the bullet is stopped. The impact from this collision will usually cause the bullet to deform or “mushroom”.
Different types of armors have different resistance to slash and stab attacks. For instance vests which are reinforced with a ceramic or metal plate are more stab and slash resistant than those without these reinforcements.
What Are The Available Types of Bullet Proof Plates?
There are basically 2 types of bullet proof plates; Hard and Soft Body Armor. Hard body armor is lined with ceramic or metal plates while Soft body armor is made from polyethylene fibers such as Dyneema and Spectra, or Aramid fabrics.
The plates are rated according to their capacity of handling a certain amount of impact or stress without harming the person wearing it.
Levels of Protection You Can Find in the Market:
- Level IIA- is made from soft materials, usually have a thickness of 4 mm (0.16 inches) and can be worn for long periods of time under clothing.
- Level II- are usually 5 mm (0.2 inches) thick and can be concealed under lose fitting clothing. They are commonly worn by patrol officers.
- Level IIIA- is a bulletproof plate with a thickness of 8- 10 mm (0.32-0.4 inches) and is much heavier and stiffer than Level II and IIA vests. They are capable of handling minor combat scenarios and can be concealed under clothing.
- Level III and IV- Defense Products specialize in these two simply because they offer the best level and quality of protection. These bulletproof armors have a thickness of ½ to ¾ inches (6-25 inches) and are incorporated with armor plates of 10 x 12 inches (25 x 30 cm). They are much heavier than the rest therefore reduce the mobility of the wearer and cannot be concealed or worn under clothing.
Level III and IV vests are usually worn by SWAT officers and can be modified to be stab resistant for use by corrections personnel.
Wearability, Size and Price of Bullet Proof Plates?
At Defense Products we recommend using Level III and IV if your work is extremely dangerous and you are likely to face rifle or explosive combat at any one time. It’s also recommended to high profile people who are at risk and people who live in areas where security is extremely volatile.
Anyone choosing to wear bulletproof plates should get the right size. Bulletproof armor should be comfortable and the right size for you. This will reduce the chances of your vest from slipping or exposing sensitive areas. At Defense Products we have a wide range of sizes for bulletproof armors.
At Defense Products we understand that price is an important factor and will determine the type of body armor you get. When choosing the right body armor therefore we strive to provide you with the highest quality of body armor at competitive rates.